The ZPD
Whew! That Mind
in Society book was a tough one. I had to use some reading strategies
of my own to fully grasp what he was saying and understand his beliefs about
development and learning. I found a graphic which helped me understand the
zone of proximal development more concretely through the link below and my
group and I used this as inspiration for our mind map showing how, according to
Vygotsky, developing and learning happen.
I
now understand that Vygotzky believed that development lags behind
learning. The zone of proximal development (ZPD) is the distance between
a child’s actual development level and the level of potential
development. There is a huge social component too and Vygotsky believed
that development stems from social interactions. He says, “what children
can do with the assistance of others is even more indicative of their mental
development than what they can do alone.” He goes on to say, “what a
child can do with assistance today she will be able to do by herself
tomorrow.”
This matches up nicely
with the idea of modeling, coaching and fading (no coincidence as Brown,
Collins and Duguid no doubt studied Vygotsky carefully!). These beliefs are
ones to keep in mind while designing our instruction too as well as essential
ideas to keep in mind as we consider the fourth design principle: The Learning
Principle. We want to keep our students “at the edge of their knowledge”
(ZPD) and we want them to “internalize meaningful thought.”
I will keep all this at
the forefront of my thoughts as I start the Design Document this week. As
a resource teacher I work with many grade-levels and in both reading and math,
but I think I will focus this Design Document on first grade math. This
age seems like a good one to design for with these principles in mind since
they still have so much developing and learning to do. Wish me luck!
That's an awesome graphic! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteI definitely connected Vygotsky and Brown, Collins, and Duguid, specifically when they discussed cognitive apprenticeship.
As you are thinking of your design document, maybe keep in mind what type of professionals you could potentially reach out to who are experts in the content you are teaching! I always think, "what are the standards?" "Who does this in the real world"?
That would have been an awesome graphic to have in the book!
ReplyDeleteI think choosing first grade was a good idea! I decided to go with fourth grade and I almost feel like there is too much to teach :). I think you are on the right track with Vygotsky, mental/social development is so important.
I agree that the graphic would have been a great addition to this book! Thank you for sharing it with us!
ReplyDeleteYou said, " I now understand that Vygotzky believed that development lags behind learning." This was also a "take a way" for me. I also considered FCPS fourth grade VA Studies Curriculum and the design and level of thinking strategies that they are now embedding into the lessons, which is entirely necessary. Will this higher level of thinking/learning help student's developmental levels increase? It will. I also believe this applies to teacher expectations and behavioral issues.
Wishing you luck on your Design Document!
Thanks for helping to simplify Vygotsky for me. I'm still not a fan of the book, but at least now I understood what he meant. Your ZPD definition is possibly the clearest one I've read yet. I'm interested to know how your design document will encompass these principles. I'm still considering how to incorporate them into mine.
ReplyDelete