Infotention and the Net Smart Literacies
· I am not sure I learned
too much new information from Rheingold’s NetSmart book but I definitely made
some connections in my thinking among the books we have read this semester. The
ideas in Rheingold’s book jive with Hobbs’ and Johnson’s assertions that kids
need to USE media and be good information users in order to be connected to our
society and culture. I think they would all agree with Rheingold’s
thoughts on being a curator of information and its importance in developing
digital literacy skills as well. These skills
are good ones to teach and weave into our lesson designs.
It seemed to me that Rheingold’s
main goal is to help digital citizens gain skills necessary to succeed online
and learn digital mindfulness. He
describes his five literacies as “specific advice about benefiting from and
protecting yourself from today’s always and everywhere media.” His ideas about “attention with intention”
match up nicely with what we read about in the Information Diet
too. Being aware of being aware
is important so we don’t get lost in the abyss of the online world. It was a good reminder for me in my practice
that attention can be taught. I do see
that kids have a harder and harder time focusing and keeping their attention
and it is definitely a result of the instant gratification they get from
everything in their lives due in large part from technology. Honestly, I have a shorter attention span
than I used to as well. Sometimes it is
hard for me to even sit down and focus on my grad school work for 30-seconds.
The
NetSmart literacies are ones I will keep in mind as I refine my design idea
this week, but overall there was nothing too earth-shattering about what we
read that really sparked too many new revelations for me as a thinker.
From Alana GMUblogger4Me@gmail.com (I must figure out what re-imaging my computer has done to my personal Google account. sorry)
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that my take away personally wasn't as great as ideas on how to support my students. However, I do need to focus my time spent on line to be more productive. The value in having students use technology to increase their ability to become good information users within our society and culture is no small challenge. Especially, when I know fourth graders that have their own You Tube channels. Are they effectively using this opportunity to develop their literacy skills and to effectively communicate a specific topic or plan? Are they aware of their time, topic, visitors and comments made to their site? I am impressed that they have confidence to put information on You Tube. As for me, I am a little more skeptical when using technology. I have stepped outside my comfort zone several times while producing products for GMU grad school courses....when I can remain focused after 8-10 hours in school! LOL!
Attention can be taught is a take away I had too. It's an interesting concept. I think everyone attention span has changed. We have so many kids in our class that can't focus for very long but look at us adults too! We are suckers for instant gratification too. I think patience goes hand in hand with attention too.
ReplyDelete