The Creative Spirit!
My group and I had a blast making videos about the design
principles and working together as student designers. Dawn gave us
freedom to design and produce videos in any format we wanted and as a result
our group felt we could be creative and funny and we were all highly
engaged. It reminded me how important it is to give kids some freedom
when you can. All of the groups at
Loudoun showed their understanding of the principles in very different video
types but in my opinion it all worked because we weren’t stifled by rigid
constraints.
My thoughts about creative spirit lead me to visualize our STEAM lab at school. The kids LOVE the STEAM lab and the freedom they have to create and be creative. It certainly isn’t a free-for-all in the lab, however. The teachers carefully design activities that have a purpose and a learning goal, but they design with creative spirit in mind: tinkering, imagining, experimenting and collaborating are at the heart of everything they do. When I used to be a classroom teacher and I would pick my kids up from STEAM, there were times when I was a little jealous of all the “fun” they got to have. I realize now that I could have designed instruction for “traditional” academic instruction with all of these things in mind too. The creative spirit doesn’t just stay in the STEAM lab. When I go back to the classroom someday, this will be something I want to explore.
Last week’s videos were a great way to wrap up 780. I am looking forward to learning about information consumption and its role in schools as we navigate our way through the second
half of the semester.
Boy do I wish we had a STEAM Lab at my school, but we are out of physical space. What a wonderful opportunity for students to engage in creative thinking and problem solving. It's too bad FCPS doesn't work towards funding a lab in all schools.
ReplyDeleteSame Alana, we are maxed out of space to use. I have never seen an up and running STEAM Lab but would love too!
ReplyDeleteWe have converted our school library into a makers space. I have mixed feelings about it. I think the users might want to do Affordance Analysis on some of the activities I have seen presented there. At one point, I witnessed a teacher tell kids that their objective was to be creative. No other information was required. What do you all think about STEAM lab and makers space usage? Does there need to be a objective, or is creative play important enough to devote time and resources to in school.
ReplyDeleteYes! The Fairfax group did that as well. It was so interesting to see how so many different ideas and creative minds could still teach the same information. I have been thinking that sometime less is more when giving students perimeters on what assignments need to be.
ReplyDelete