The Victorian Internet and Consequences of Technology
I really enjoyed reading
The Victorian Internet this past week. The author’s format of
telling the history of the telegraph and its eerie similarities to the advent
of the internet in the form of a story rather than a text-book was very
refreshing. I also enjoyed watching The Day the Universe Changed
and seeing the connections in the consequences of technology of the printing
press and the telegraph. I found it very helpful to write down the
consequences of the technologies as I read too (a good reminder for me as a
teacher to provide a guiding question for my students as they read or watch
videos and to give them opportunities to get ideas on paper).
In class we took
those consequences and made generalizations. It further solidified my
understanding of just how impactful a technology can be not only in a community
but also in our global society. I gained a lot from the discussion we had
about these generalizations and the ideas that other groups had which I had not
thought of previously. The list our class created can be found here.
One of my favorite
passages from the book is on page 104:
“The potential for new technologies to change
things for the better is invariably overstated, while the ways in which they
will make things worse are usually unforeseen.”
This passage stuck out
to me because of our conversations in class about one-to-one technology and the
use of technology in schools and using it to increase engagement and efficacy
in education. My thoughts go to the notion that just because a technology
is available, it doesn’t mean that it will be used properly or always for
“good” or useful intentions. I certainly
don’t mean technology in schools is used to engage in criminal behavior as was
discussed in the book, I simply mean that the passage jolted my thinking about
just how we view technology as teachers and the idea that if not used correctly
or with the right activity, it can create more of a headache than the
educational outcome we were hoping for (affordance analysis is key!).
We grow and we adapt as
a species. We are intelligent beings who are always looking for better
and more innovative approaches to everything. We yearn to make life increasingly
efficient, easy, and more enjoyable.
Teachers have these same yearnings too.
Technology can help achieve all of these things when we use it for the
right purpose. One of the best parts of this graduate program has been
being exposed to educational technologies which really have the potential to
transform education and to make our students future ready. I look forward to our in-class discussion
next week when we share our favorite technologies and I learn about new tools
to use in my lesson designs.
I've seen teachers that will use technology in their classroom as almost busy work or to put everyone on their devices at one time so it will be "quiet." Those teachers feel like they are using technology successfully but they are just proud of themselves for using it! They would benefit from affordance analysis.
ReplyDeleteYes! Technology can have such an impact when used the right way, I think it is so east to use it just to use it. I enjoyed our activity in class this past week since we were able to take a look at some of the technology pieces I have heard about for a while being something I had to have. It turns out, yes, they are very cool, but would I have a purpose for them? I'm not so sure....
ReplyDeleteI was interested in your statement that technology is not always used for good or useful purpose. I think you are exactly right. In the Victorian internet, the telegraph was first used for frivolous reasons, kind of like a dog and pony show. It is as if people we excited about the concept, but not really sure how to use it. This is exactly what we are seeing in school technology. When one to one first hit my school, we were all required to use the laptops even though we weren't really sure what the best practices were. I feel like it actually wasted more time than it saved. It wasn't efficient or valuable. People would suggest apps or games to me that weren't really in line with my objectives. They were fun and cute, and they used the laptops.
ReplyDeleteAs I was reading about Accordance Analysis this week I really had to keep in mind how very specialized my field is. The best use of technology for me might include apps or software that have not yet been vetted by the county. As with everything, it might take fine arts a little longer to catch up to everyone else. I think that it is important to ask ourselves, does the technology really add something to the lesson?