Back To The Future
The Saber-Tooth Curriculum taught us that educational systems must
evolve to meet the future needs of a society. In fact, we focused our discussion in class
and our attention in the readings on making our students “future ready.”
When it comes to designing instruction, there are many factors to keep in mind
so our students are engaged in learning that will ensure they are ready for the
world that awaits them.
It’s week two and it is already
acronym-central here in DDLS! When designing instruction, we should keep in
mind the PICKLE, the ABCS of activity and the AeCTS. I am a little
overwhelmed with all these and how to meld all these ideas together when I
actually sit down to design instruction but I very much agree that all of these
ideas are important and worthwhile.
I can see how the Situated Cognition article is the basis
for many of the ideas behind the acronyms. The bottom-line is we want
students to engage in authentic learning experiences so, you guessed it, they
are future-ready! Learning and doing should be intertwined and situated
in a context that leads to a deep understanding of the knowledge at hand.
If we follow the PICKLE, ABCS and AeCTS in designing lessons, we will by
default, create activities that “enculturate students into authentic practices”
as Brown, Collins and Duguid describe.
I think Harold Benjamin would have been elated to read the Situated
Cognition article. I think he would have especially reveled in
delight with a few tequila daisies after reading the authors argue that “by
ignoring the situated nature of cognition, education defeats its own goal of
providing usable, robust knowledge.”
The journey to becoming Masters of Design carries on! And
probably with more acronyms:-)
Hi Julianne,
ReplyDeleteYes! So many acronyms! I completely agree with you. This is all a little overwhelming and at the same time important and worthwhile. I am so glad that this is a face to face class. It seems my head is constantly spinning from the readings and keeping everything straight.
I agree! So many acronyms....and initiatives from our school systems, school boards, administration, all similar. POG skills or Future Ready we are preparing students for the unknown and must prepare them the best we can by using PICKLE, ABCS of Activity, and SPD designs to meet the needs of our students and push them a little beyond their comfort level.
DeleteI struggle with how to approach teachers that are stuck in their way of doing things because that is how they have always do it and helping them move in a direction of preparing their students to be "future ready." Why would they change their practice if we are still so focused on test scores and the way they have been doing it is getting them the results they need? Maybe it becomes more of like the ripple effect. Start small with your own lessons and share what you are doing with colleagues and slowly more and more teachers being to implement more authentic learning opportunities in their classrooms.
ReplyDelete